Sunday, March 6, 2011

Playing catch up

As I have been getting ready for Grant's birthday at the end of this coming week, I realize that I never posted any pictures of Cole's birthday back in November.
So, even though he has been two for nearly four months now, here are some of my favorites of the birthday boy.

I love his sweet smiles.
He is a very happy guy and loves to get other people to smile back at him.
As you can imagine, it isn't very hard for him to do :)


He really liked his cake. Especially the teeny balls of fondant around the bottom.
He kept stealing them to play with and eat. Yummy!


Blowing out the birthday candles.


I thought I'd add a picture of just his cake as a side note. At church today in young womens we had an excellent lesson on individual worth. Of course it was geared towards the girls but at the end of the lesson the teacher had all of us, even the leaders, write down five things about ourselves that make us unique or special.

In situations like that I always have a hard time thinking of things to write down. I think most people do. I took me a while. But one thing that I did think of is that I love to try doing new things. Seeing a picture of Cole's cake reminded me of this.

I had never made a cake out of fondant before, I just wanted to try it. The whole thing was an experiment, from making the homemade fondant to the gum paste bow on top. It's not the best cake ever but it was my first try and I loved doing it.

My point is that I may not be good at a lot of things,
but one thing I am good at is trying to do new things.
That makes me different.
And I might not be good at all the things I try,
but I always have fun learning something new.
And that is one of the things that makes me...me.

So what's makes you...you?
Think about it.


3 comments:

Jannie said...

I am so impressed - not just with the cake, but also that you have been updating your blog! You are my hero! I can't even seem to get the dishes done today... :) Jannie

Corine Moore said...

Wow... I'm impressed! THAT WAS YORU FIRST CAKE! WHY HAVE YOU NOT VOLUNTEERED TO TEACH THAT TO YOUR FELLOW RS SISTERS? ;D And, how did you make the bow?

...totally impressed!

In answer to your question, I'm good at being (how should I put this? Oh, I know!)"unique." ;) And, I can rollerblade - backwards, in circles. :D It's a lot of fun, and if you ever want to join me just say the word!

Autumn and Barrett said...

Nikki! I'm so glad you found my blog. And it was timely too, because I copied your ice cream cupcakes for my daughter's birthday at preschool :)

How are you??? Your parents live in Seattle? I had no idea! Let me know when you come my way next. Would love love love to see you!